“Pro-Life Silly Bandz” — What will they think of next?

26 Jul

As a new Aborton Gang blogger, I was (and still am) very nervous about my first post.  Thoughts kept running through my head: “What will be my blogging ‘voice’? Will I be able to live up to my fellow bloggers’ expectations?” Hence, it was super difficult for my overactive brain to decide on topic for this first post, and trust me, staring at a blank Word document, cursor blinking, just gets more and more stressful as the minutes pass by.  Then I stumbled across this image.

The Indiana Right to Life county fair booth was actually distributing Pro-Life Silly Bandz. And upon further research, you can actually buy these things in bulk!

Silly Bandz are marketed primary towards pre-teens and adolescents. Personally my three nieces, all between the ages of eight and ten, are completely obsessed, excitedly ripping open each package, trading shapes, arguing over who has the “best” Band, Well girls, how would you like to wear an unborn fetus on your wrist?

As someone who has worked in the movement for many years, I’m no stranger to anti-choice propaganda for children, but how far is too far? (Shockingly, a search for “Pro Choice Silly Bandz” yielded no results.) This is how one particular website, Heritage House, advertises their Silly Band packages for purchase:

“Kids aren’t collecting Silly Bands, the Silly Bands are collecting kids! Lead-free, PVC-free, safety-tested silicone and FUN! Share these six brand new pro-life designs with youth groups, school groups, church groups and centers. They are light-weight and fun to wear.”

Elsewhere they write, ”What’s the latest rage kids are into? SILLY BANDS!! These crazy little shaped bracelets are making a huge hit all around the country! Now we carry them in Pro-Life words and shapes! Take advantage of this kid-friendly trend and share the messages of LIFE.”

This is outright propaganda and a blatant attempt to exploit a harmless childhood trend for a political (and religious) cause. In general, the ethics of marketing to children is highly debated.  Some countries (hello Sweden!) have gone so far as to completely outlaw advertising directly to children under 12. Usually this debate is focused around unhealthy foods such as Happy Meals and bubble gum; however, it is even more dangerous to bring this issue into the abortion debate.

In one scene in the documentary “Jesus Camp,” children are shown playing with a series of plastic fetus models, their mouths covered with red tape with the word ‘life’ written across…..ultimately these children, some no more than eight years old, begin praying to overturn Roe v. Wade.  With camps like these across the country, and parents and churches indoctrinating children before they are old enough to read, do we really need to add products like Pro-Life Silly Bandz into our lives? It’s just scary. What will they think of next? Needless to say, I will definitely be adding “Pro-Life Silly Bandz” to the list of things I will not be buying my nieces next year for Christmas.

14 Responses to ““Pro-Life Silly Bandz” — What will they think of next?”

1. Alicia July 26, 2011 at 2:15 pm #

Oh yes, because children are so capable of understanding abortion, especially within a community that doesn’t even want them to know the mechanics of sex until they are married. Makes sense to me.

Also, that’s supposed to be a fetus? Failure.

Good choice of topic for your first post!

2. NewsCat_in_DC July 26, 2011 at 7:01 pm #

The pink rubber band says to me “I love to inject Fetuses with external organs with a syringe.” Seriously, should the heart be OUTSIDE the body.

3. Anonymous July 27, 2011 at 12:37 am #

So, it’s unethical to give kids bracelets with pro-life messages, but perfectly fine to bully young women into destroying their unborn children? Your code of ethics is disturbing.

4. Alicia July 27, 2011 at 10:10 am #

@Anonymous- Who’s bullying? I’ve never known a pro-choicer to tell a woman she has to abort. I certainly haven’t. I have, however, made it easier for a woman to obtain an abortion after she made that decision. Doesn’t sound like bullying to me.

5. Xeginy July 27, 2011 at 4:36 pm #

@Alicia, Thank you for providing a very calm and collected response before I could but in with inappropriately timed rage.

And no, abortion providers or activists do no “bully” anyone into getting an abortion. Really, why would they?

6. Jameson July 30, 2011 at 9:51 am #

Let’s not waste time and breath on pro-liars like Anonymous, who (like most pro-liars) was too cowardly to even sign an alias, let alone a real name, to his/her post.

People who deny or want to deny women their inherent right to bodily autonomy and choice are the bullies, end of story.

7. Aoife August 2, 2011 at 10:46 pm #

I hope I’m not going off-topic with this comment, but to be honest, I find the symbols used to design ‘pro-choice jewellery’ to be very disturbing. I’ve seen women wearing bracelets and necklaces with a little coathanger hanging off them. I couldn’t believe it when I first saw it. And while I know it’s clearly not the intent of the designer or the person wearing it, I think the use of the coathanger is downright creepy (I’ve never seen any of this jewellery with a line through it, like many pro-choicers add to their profile pics on social media).

I’d love to wear some pro-choice jewellery that I consider to promote a positive message, like ‘I trust women’. But this? I just don’t get it! It just has the opposite effect on me, like having a little coathanger trivialises or even glamourises the horror of coathanger abortions. I’d be interested in hearing how other people feel about this.

8. Bridget August 4, 2011 at 5:55 pm #

Ladies well done on your above comments, I applaud you all and for not responding in the ignorant hate filled way anonymous did.

9. Wanda August 7, 2011 at 3:28 pm #

What is the blue one on the right? A rhinoceros blowing bubble gum? And I have tried and tried and I still can’t figure out what the yellow one on the bottom is… If this is propaganda, it’s not very effective…

10. Steph L August 10, 2011 at 12:05 am #

@Wanda

I thought the blue one looked like Roger from “American Dad” wearing a backpack.

11. Anna P August 11, 2011 at 1:19 pm #

I find it very interesting that in your posts you stress that it is important to raise our daughters pro-choice, with our values, and to have a strong sense of self; yet when the pro-life movement does the same thing towards their children with their values you call it ‘indoctrination’. It’s all the same. You are using name calling pro-liars and generalizing all in that movement and you get mad when we do the same to you. Let’s not pretend that there is immaturity happening on both sides of this debate.

12. Anna P August 11, 2011 at 3:55 pm #

I meant ‘Let’s not pretend that there ISN’T immaturity happening……’

13. laura June 11, 2012 at 11:42 pm #

people that are pro-life are against abortion because they believe that a fetus is a human life that should be protected. It is not an easy topic for our society however, seeking to understand those with differing opinions is critical to navigating these societal issues. In the abortion debate, there is a lot of hate and slandering without much talk about science and research. Abortion is often legal up to 23 weeks. Many of the comments above are nothing more than shameful mockery. too bad that is the norm from both sides.

1. What I’m Reading, Watching, Waiting For « suggestivetongue - August 18, 2011