Letting Antis Speak for Themselves

15 Jul

We spend a lot of our time debunking anti-choice misinformation, and rightfully so–there is a lot to cover! What we often spare our readers from is the sometimes graphic, always disrespectful comments left by anti-choice people on blog posts. My personal philosophy is to delete these, since this blog is not the forum for a debate between accurate, scientific facts and straight-up hateful nonsense.

But I’m breaking that policy today. For one day, instead of having us explain to you how rude antis are, I will let them do it themselves. Below are highlights from a few anti-choice comments we’ve received in the last few weeks.

In response to Why YOU Should Be An Abortion Provider, from someone named Suzie Oliver:

“My mission today is not to get you to change your major…” So I guess abortion providers’ major would be Murder 101?
“However, maybe you have it in your heart to become an abortion provider.” Have it in your HEART?! Are you FUCKING kidding me?! A person has NO HEART if they murder a baby. Fucking disgusting and vile. It’s one thing to have stupid thoughts but to speak them and then POST ON THE INTERNET for the world to see?! I’m at a loss, I really want to meet this ‘provider’. Fucking idiot.

In response to the same post by someone named Marc:

Excuse the caps please. NO DOCTOR SHOULD BE PERFORMING ABORTIONS PERIOD! THE PURPOSE OF THE MEDICAL PROFESSION IS TO HEAL PEOPLE, NOT TO KILL. EVERYONE PRO ABORTION OR PRO LIFE MUST AGREE ON ONE THING. WHETHER YOU CALL IT A CLUMP OF CELLS OR A BABY IT IS STILL SOMETHING LIVING AND EVOLVING TO AN EVENTUAL BIRTH OF A HUMAN BEING. AN ABORTION ABORTS OR EXTERMINATES THIS LIFE. THIS IS CONTRARY TO WHY THE MEDICAL PROFESSION EXISTS IN THE FIRST PLACE………..

In response to this post from someone named Leslie:

Interesting review of Life Zone. I have not seen it. I have however had an abortion. And I liken it to something similar to what you said. Abortion is like being raped by satan. It is a horrible, painful, terrorizing experience. If you have never had an abortion yourself, I wonder how you can promote it so much? I hope one day your eyes will be opened to the truth about abortion. I was once like you in my feminist pro-choice stance. Then I had an abortion.

This is just the tip of the iceberg, folks. Maybe I will start publishing these comments so you all can see the truth about the people we are dealing with–that they use repulsive scare tactics, completely reject medicine and logic, and have absolutely no respect for pregnant women.

9 Responses to “Letting Antis Speak for Themselves”

1. Jackie July 15, 2011 at 1:43 pm #

I think its a great idea to publish these on a weekly basis (or whenever). If people hear what these people really say, they will quickly agree that there beef is not about life but about women having sex.

2. jovan1984 July 15, 2011 at 1:46 pm #

When I see vile misogynist comments like the three you posted above, I name and shame.

First and Last Name (if they are using their actual name, otherwise their handle), Location, and offending comment.

I did this extensively two years ago when I confronted misogynists editors, letter writers and commenters on a daily basis at the misogynistic rag on 725 Broad Street in Augusta, Ga.

3. Maribel July 15, 2011 at 5:21 pm #

What I found funny and at the same time disturbing is most of these (if not all)antis are Christians mostly evangelicals and to see a so called Christians using such curse words and hateful comments is my G-D disgusting. The message of Christ is love not hate these people are not Christians at all.

I saw a poster on a FB page that says “Women Do regret abortions” I felt compelled to response to these people because I have had two abortions that I have never and will NEVER regret.

I think that is absolutely necessary for women that have had an abortion to break the silence and tell their stories and let the world know that abortion is not the demon these antis want us to believe.

4. Steph L July 15, 2011 at 5:38 pm #

Among many things, I have always thought that antis were extremely generous. After all, practically every time they open their mouths they show you exactly how ignorant and rabid they are. You don’t have to prove their ignorance, they’re nice enough to do it for you! Thank you, antis!🙂

5. ProChoiceGal July 17, 2011 at 1:42 pm #

The best part is how antis reacted to this post. Those people actually think that these comments were legitimate arguments. LOL

6. Bhevarri July 18, 2011 at 7:54 pm #

I have genuinely not yet met someone who is anti-choice who is NOT entirely ignorant about the bare facts of pregnancy and abortion (and in those cases, I’ve shared information with those willing to listen) OR who is not incredibly hateful, sexist, and generally unpleasant. I don’t feel like intelligence and compassion for other people can exist in the same head as anti-choice views. I may be wrong, but I haven’t yet found evidence to the contrary…

7. Eric Scheidler July 27, 2011 at 12:38 pm #

Personally, I’d just as soon you leave these offensive comments in the delete folder where they belong.

The specimens you offer really prove nothing, except what we already know: online anonymity gives every wing nut a chance to act out.

We don’t really know who any of these people are — whether they’re Christian, what churches they go to, or what any of that really means to them. And we certainly don’t know if they’re actually active in the pro-life movement.

But speaking as a pro-life activist leader, I’d say I doubt it. The kind of person who rants and raves and uses vulgar language from the safety of their home computer isn’t likely the sort who’s willing to go out into the public square, where you have to show your face.

Finally, as someone who offers comments from time to time on this site, and considers respectfulness and civility to be solemn duties, I’d appeal to your sense of fairness.

I use my real name and anybody can look me up. My work in the pro-life movement is there for anyone to see. But who knows who the craven, crass commenters quoted above are? Who can fairly claim they represent the pro-life movement?

Eric Scheidler
    Executive Director
    Pro-Life Action League

8. Eric Scheidler July 27, 2011 at 12:45 pm #

@Bhevarri —

Sorry to hear you haven’t met any pro-lifers who know the facts about pregnancy and abortion.

For my part, I’ve met lots of pro-choice people who have pretty sketchy ideas about those same subjects.

But I try to refrain from drawing broad generalizations based on my own necessarily limited experience. I’ve met plenty of intelligent pro-choicers, too, and I’d like to believe at least a few of them have recognized a spark of intelligence gleaming from my end of the conversation.

But in any case, I can assure you that I’ve got my facts down on pregnancy and abortion — especially pregnancy, as my wife and I have 8 children, 4 of them born at home. Two of our hospital births were C-sections, so I can actually boast that I’ve seen my wife’s ovaries.

— Eric

9. Aoife August 2, 2011 at 10:22 pm #

I found the last pro-life comment featured in the blog post quite interesting. The woman in question clearly deeply regrets her abortion. For her, it was a terrifying and traumatic experience. As someone who is pro-life personally and pro-choice politically, I firmly believe that ALL women’s experiences regarding abortion, regret or no regret, are equally valid. I feel the genuine pain in what she wrote and my heart goes out to her.

This lady is completely entitled to her own personal opinion and experience of abortion and to speak openly about it without fear of judgement or being silenced. However, she has no right to force her beliefs on others, which is how I interpreted her comment. The decision to continue with a pregnancy and give birth, to have an abortion,to raise the child yourself or to give her/him up for adoption is an incredibly personal decision and can only be made by the pregnant woman. Not your body, not your choice. End of.