We Are Not Baby-Haters

13 Jul

A baby is going to be born today, and I couldn’t be more excited!

Remember my post about my work-bestie who is pregnant? Well, she’s in labor and I’m so excited for her! Her little girl is going to be born today, and I get to go see her this evening (if she’s up to it and there are no complications) or tomorrow (for sure). And I’d like to take this moment to dispel a myth. The myth that women who support abortion are “anti-baby” or worse, “pro-infanticide.”

The Casey Anthony trial is over, and some ridiculous claims are being made by Rush Limbaugh that liberals who support abortion shouldn’t care when a child (an already-born-living-breathing-child) is murdered. This is tantamount to claiming either of these two things (or both): 1) we’re cool with straight-up murder, and/or 2) we don’t like babies. I think it should go without saying that most people, regardless of politics, aren’t all “yeah, murder? that’s fine by me.” And second, Mr. Limbaugh, who the hell are you to tell me that I don’t like kids, much less adorable babies?I understand that there are conservatives out there that equate abortion with murder, and y’all know I wouldn’t be writing for the Abortion Gang if I thought that too, so before I get the inevitable “Abortion IS murder” comments, let’s just, for the sake of argument, agree to disagree on this one and move on. We have already tried to explain the difference here at AG, so if you’re still reading, I’m not reiterating for you. Just check out any number of our other posts here, here, or here.

Ultimately, my point is, I have had an abortion, and I DO like kids. I don’t see any incongruities there. We’ve quoted the stats a million times: most women who have abortions already have children; over 1/3 of the population in America will utilize abortion services in their lifetimes; etc. etc. etc. Why is this concept so difficult for conservatives to understand? I don’t have to hate children to want or need an abortion, and if I utilize abortion services I don’t have to dislike children. And I certainly don’t have to condone the murder of a toddler. Thanks for giving me “my” opinion, but no thanks.

Kids are awesome, when you’re ready for them. I feel like I will be a better mother because I will have children when I am ready to be a mom. I truly think that having had my abortion has made me a kinder, more understanding, less judgmental person. And I will be a better mom for it… eventually.Right now, I’m just psyched that my best friend is having a baby that I get to play with, cuddle and love, and then give back when she gets fussy. That’s one of the joys of not having kids yet, and waiting until you’re ready (no matter how you get there).

7 Responses to “We Are Not Baby-Haters”

1. Serena July 13, 2011 at 2:40 pm #

Christie – congrats to your friend and best wishes for a smooth delivery!

I’m glad you’re reiterating this point – because it’s just such nonsense to say that pro-choice advocates hate babies.

2. HighDudgeonAZ July 13, 2011 at 3:36 pm #

So let me get this straight: In the eyes of Rush Limbaugh and other forced-birthers, those who are pro-choice are depraved monsters who kill without hesitation, without reason, and without any guilt whatsoever. And he thinks that antagonizing such people is the SMART thing to do?

3. Steph L July 14, 2011 at 12:29 am #

Congrats to your friend.

I can’t count how many times antis have tried to use the “be thankful your mother was pro life!” line on me. I tell them, my mother is (and has always been) pro choice – she CHOSE to have me.”

And they always get a ‘dumb cow in headlights’ look as if they can’t put two and two together on that.

4. Upstatemamma July 14, 2011 at 9:54 am #

Okay, I am pro-life and I believe abortion is murder. I say that not to start the debate about it but to let you all know where I am coming from. That said I don’t hate you for your opinion. Nor do I think your opinion makes you a bad person. There are people who do not like babies and children on both sides of this debate. I mean I get the point that was being made. To many people, myself included, Caylee Anthony’s murder is the same tragic as those sweet babies who die everyday by abortion. However, I think that accusing people of being hartless monsters (which is what Mr Limbaugh said essentially) is just pointless. It does not make your point in a clear cocncise way. All it does is serve to fan the flames of hatred that just don’t need fanning.

5. Dee July 14, 2011 at 1:40 pm #

@Steph:

Yeah, I always get that “be thankful your mother was pro life!” crap, lol! Not only is it crap because many prochoice women choose to have children, but also because it presupposes that I am arrogant enough to think that my existence on this planet is crucial to it. I tell them the truth: if my mom had aborted me, I wouldn’t be here to care either way, so the thought of her aborting me isn’t the least bit intimidating to me.

6. AuntBec July 14, 2011 at 10:00 pm #

My 30 year old son wears a t-shirt that proudly claims “My Mom IS Pro-Choice”.

7. madmonkey August 6, 2011 at 1:19 am #

My parents married in 1949, way before Roe v Wade, and when birth control even for married couples was illegal in some states. Fortunately, for my parents, my mother was able to be fitted for a diaphragm (much to the disgust of her physician, and only with the consent of my father), because as the daughter of a nurse, and being a child of the Depression, recognized the value of responsible family planning. I remember as a young teen when the abortion debate raged, my mother, a lifelong Republican, virgin on her wedding night, ended up on the side of choice. Having raised 3 daughters thru those perilous waters of the 60’s & 70’s sexual revolution, she encouraged us to “wait” until marriage, but knew that times and attitudes were changing. She wanted us to have more choices and opportunities as women, than she had. She will be 84 next week. She has 3 daughters, 2 grand daughters, 1 great grand daughter, and another great grand baby on the way. She has always been Pro Choice before there was a choice. I see so many younnger “pro life” women, who have never lived without reproductive choice and I sure think they could learn a lot from her.