Use your detective skills and media for good!

22 Jul

A couple of the antichoicers on twitter have started tweeting about a video which allegedly shows a Planned Parenthood worker being untruthful about fetal development. I haven’t watched the video myself (yet) so I cannot say whether something wrong happened or not.

I can say, that when a video like this comes out, I feel so disheartened by the hypocrisy of the antichoice movement. They say they care about “babies” but they’ve never used their anti-abortion tactics to help mothers and babies.

Every day, there’s at least one if not two updates on My OB said WHAT?. This website keeps track of stories of OBs, nurses, midwives and other birth industry people who lie to pregnant women, say sexist and sexually inappropriate comments to pregnant women and their husbands, belittle women, and otherwise do a disservice to their jobs and the patients they interact with.

Antichoicers have a platform. They have the space to share this type of violence against women (yes, it is violence) with the larger world, and create a movement to stop the violence. They have gone under cover at abortion clinics, so why couldn’t they go undercover on L&D floors? Heck, they don’t even have to go undercover- just share the stories that are already out there.

It wont ever happen. Antichoicers care about fetuses, but you don’t see any of them outside L&D floors offering to adopt unwanted children or even to pay the bills for the first few years of life. I have never seen an antichoice organization go after an OB or midwife that lies about fetal development to a laboring woman. I don’t think the antichoice organizations care if OBs or midwives lie about fetal development, as long as the fetus becomes an infant.

In the end, their often unfounded attacks on Planned Parenthood and other abortion providers is just discrimination against doctors who are willing to help women in need. Antichoicers are doing everything they can- threats of violence, actual violence, name calling, intruding, misleading and lying to name a few things- to stop women from receiving the healthcare they need. Their potential to do good, for a good cause, goes to waste.

7 Responses to “Use your detective skills and media for good!”

1. jessicasays July 22, 2010 at 1:47 pm #

The URL for the OB site is missing the “h” in http…

2. Zoe July 22, 2010 at 2:06 pm #

FYI, the link is missing an “h.”

3. Steph July 22, 2010 at 2:06 pm #

The link has been fixed. Thanks!

4. thiswoman July 22, 2010 at 3:24 pm #

This argument, “Antichoicers care about fetuses, but you don’t see any of them outside L&D floors offering to adopt unwanted children or even to pay the bills for the first few years of life,” makes me a little uncomfortable, because I think it implies that if all the unwanted babies in the world were adopted, and if all new parents had financial resources to care for their new children there would be no need for abortion.

There will always be a need for abortion. Even if all the babies get adopted, and there’s no worries about financial security. And that’s okay.

5. Not Guilty July 22, 2010 at 3:32 pm #

A person on my blog had the gall to say that WE were the angry ones. Said the public feels more sympathy for the antis because they are “joyful.” I wanted to gouge my eyes out. Antis apparently only let us see how horrible they are.

6. Tinka the Anonymous Model July 24, 2010 at 2:27 pm #

What video is this?!?! Do you have the link?

7. KushielsMoon July 29, 2010 at 6:16 pm #

Thiswoman- I never meant to imply that offering adoption would remove the need for abortion. There is definitely a need for adoption and a need for abortion. It just goads me that antichoicers choose to stop women from aborting, but we never see them trying to stand up for women who choose to carry to term and give birth.