Choosing the Abortion Gang.

30 Mar

I’ve received some criticism recently about naming this blog the abortion gang instead of, say, crusaders for reproductive justice or avengers for choice. One person said the focus on abortion makes her uncomfortable, whereas another said she’s not convinced we’re committed reproductive justice.

So it’s time to explain. I first saw the term “abortion gang” used in an article to describe Rep. Bart Stupak and his anti-choice cronies. My first reaction was why does HE get to have an abortion gang? He doesn’t know the first thing about abortion, women’s health, and reproductive justice, to say the least. If there’s anyone who could disqualify from being in an abortion gang, it’s Bart Stupak.

Calling ourselves an abortion gang means that we are committed to destigmatizing not only abortion care work but also reproductive justice activism. We are dedicated to showing that young men and women care about our bodies, health, and rights. We won’t take anti-choice bullshit no matter how many different ways they spew it.

By incorporating one of the most controversial aspects of reproductive health, abortion, into our name, I want it to be clear that we support ALL aspects of reproductive justice work and do not shy away from controversy and complexity. We embrace and analyze it in order to better understand why we do what we do, and to show others the power of justice and compassion.

I hope that you’ll let us challenge you and that you’ll respect us enough to do the same.

12 Responses to “Choosing the Abortion Gang.”

1. Dee March 30, 2010 at 12:44 pm #

Why is abortion a bad word? How is it offensive or wrong? Why does it make people uncomfortable? It’s a procedure that some women choose to have done. How does that get interpreted as ‘Lets-Kill-All-the-Babies.com’?? Get a grip, people!

2. Nicole March 30, 2010 at 5:16 pm #

“Calling ourselves an abortion gang means that we are committed to destigmatizing not only abortion care work but also reproductive justice activism. ”

This is such an important distinction that I too have already had to clarify with some friends. Thanks for posting this!

3. steph March 30, 2010 at 10:33 pm #

This is the kind of direct attitude that is needed in the abortion discussion. Keep it up!

4. Steph (@IAmDrTiller) March 30, 2010 at 10:37 pm #

thanks for the great comments. so excited to have you all on board.

5. Baberaham Lincoln March 31, 2010 at 1:00 am #

I am so on board with the name. Hell, I nearly named my blog Zsa Zsa Gabortion.

6. Shayna March 31, 2010 at 1:38 pm #

One reason I love the name is that it is singularly unambiguous. The antichoicers with their absurd “pro-life” label hide behind patronizing self-righteousness and judgmental titles, spewing bible verses in place of actual reasoning. Abortion Gang means that we stand for the right to choices including abortion – period.

7. KushielsMoon March 31, 2010 at 6:08 pm #

I was curious about whether we were allowed to post on other issues, such as VBAC access, here. Is this a “go ahead?” :-)

8. KushielsMoon March 31, 2010 at 7:09 pm #

I should actually stay on topic-

When the abortion gang blog first came out, I was surprised that not a single antichoicer commented on the name. I only saw one anti blog about it, but he was more interested in claiming that Christians can’t be prochoice (ha!) than the name.

Personally, I think the title is a good way to get people’s attention. Gasp- shock- read- learn- support. That’s the path I see.

9. Dena March 31, 2010 at 11:06 pm #

YESSSSSSS!

10. Taylor April 1, 2010 at 3:13 pm #

I always thought it was a great name. If abortion/reproductive rights supporters can’t say ‘abortion’, than who can? Anti-Choice activists who further stigmatize the procedure, that’s who!

1. Tweets that mention Choosing the Abortion Gang.  | Abortion Gang. -- Topsy.com - March 30, 2010

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Nona WillisAronowitz and MishaRN, Jo Charlebois. Jo Charlebois said: RT @abortiongang: new post : Choosing the Abortion Gang. http://j.mp/axFoEE [...]

2. Reclaiming Abortion. | Abortion Gang. - April 1, 2010

[...] fearless Abortion Gang founder blogged about her decision to choose the blog name and this got me thinking about the word abortion.  Strangely, antis seem to use it totally [...]