I am Pro-Choice Because…

19 Mar

I don’t remember how I came to the pro-choice movement. I grew up a very sheltered life in the rural south and thought I had quite a bit of religion pushed on me, I can’t recall ever hearing anyone talk about abortion at all. I figured out when I was 11 and my only sibling was born that I never wanted kids and the thought of accidentally getting pregnant later in life terrified me. So at the time abortion wasn’t a known option at the very least. The time of my worldly education when I finally got out of that toxic area of the country is a bit of a blur for me. But it was in this time that I learned about feminism and women’s rights and became pro-choice.

So, since I don’t have a clear and/or interesting becoming pro-choice story, I’ll just have to settle for why I decided to be pro-choice. If you can even call it a decision, the idea that there are people who actively fight against basic human rights baffles me.

I’m pro-choice because I believe that every woman has a right to decide what happens to her own body.
I’m pro-choice because I believe that forced pregnancy is akin to rape.
I’m pro-choice because I believe that the rights of a born woman with ties in the world trumps those of a not yet sentient being.
I’m pro-choice because I don’t believe that the government should be in control of anyone’s reproduction or personal medical decisions.
I’m pro-choice because the right to personal privacy and bodily autonomy should be afforded to all people regardless of gender.
I’m pro-choice because I don’t believe in imposing my will on others.

And finally, I’m pro-choice because I recently had an abortion and have never felt so grateful to have access to something in my life. I was pro-choice for years before I had an abortion but never could I have fully imagined how horrible it feels to be pregnant when you don’t want to be.

9 Responses to “I am Pro-Choice Because…”

1. Shayna March 19, 2010 at 7:45 pm #

Brilliantly put – Thank you for putting into words the simple, basic reasons that being Pro-Choice is right๐Ÿ™‚

2. Persephone March 19, 2010 at 10:05 pm #

Thank you Shayna! I’m a natural list maker so putting my feelings in that format worked well for me.๐Ÿ™‚

3. Shelby March 19, 2010 at 11:12 pm #

A great list – thanks for sharing your experience and your commitment to being pro-choice!

4. Shayna March 20, 2010 at 12:07 am #

See, I have the opposite problem… I’m a natural born rambler – Learning to edit was my biggest accomplishment!๐Ÿ˜‰

5. Persephone March 20, 2010 at 12:13 am #

Thank you Shelby!!

Shayna, I struggle with composing complete paragraphs. We could potentially work great together lol

6. Shayna March 20, 2010 at 1:47 am #

Definitely — I’m working on my “Why I’m Pro-Choice” and if copying and pasting your list is out (kidding, I’m not planning to plagiarize), I’m having a hard time… let’s call it organizing my thoughts!

7. Dena March 21, 2010 at 8:40 pm #

Get itttt! =)

8. Alysia March 21, 2010 at 10:13 pm #

Thank you for this. I read it 5 times in a row. You so brilliantly stated the logic behind pro-choice and I’m grateful to get to read your story. I definitely look forward to reading more of your posts.

9. Persephone March 21, 2010 at 11:10 pm #

Thanks so much for the support everyone! I’m really loving the family feel of the site so far๐Ÿ™‚